Sunday, September 14, 2014

I'm still not sure this means i'm human

I would pinch myself but I'm still not sure that would mean I'm human.
I would assume that even a machine could feel pain, if you unplugged it too often or overloaded that poor bunch of metal.
I would state as a fact that animals feel pain the same as any human, assuming thats what I am.

     and so I concluded that my feeling pain is a terrible indicator of humanity.

     I won't pinch myself today.

But luckily, there are easier ways.

easier ways to feel pain
easier ways to explain
          that maybe I'm a real Intelligence,
that maybe I'm a real human
like the kind I assume you all are.

there's a voice in my head that sounds like an echo

but a human echo
and it tells me what to do
and what i did
and why it was wrong.

theres a skip in my step and I'm skipping through  clouds

and then I trip
and i fall from Cloud 9 to the dust of the earth where i live.

I sing loud and I don't think I care if my voice cracks or if I'm out of tune

but no one can hear
its not a real song
and at the end of the day i don't think i was ever really singing.

I drift in my thoughts and I stare at the sky and I mow the lawn and I go to school and i

fight
I yell
i Sing,
i dream and I
wonder
and i hope
eat drink sleep
fall,
grow wise and
grow tall
disappoint
i'm disjointed sometimes
i cry
fly
play
write.

and i wonder if I'm really human?

You would think that I am.
that these indicators can't be wrong
that my made-up song
that my fall
that my mind
that my thoughts
and these things
are a guarantee

you'd think that my skin and the color of my blood,

and the experiences of every day, day after day, for the past
Seventeen years have proved that I am in fact
Human.

In fact, I'd almost convinced myself,

I'd almost convinced everybody else,
and I'd almost convinced humanity that I was one of its kind,
whatever kind that is,
whatever humanity means,
I was almost convinced I was it.

until they asked me,

and I answered.

Where's that chip, the one in your chest, and where're your wires?


what's that?

i said, and said
goodbye to my hope of humanity.

i've only got a heart.


everett mills


3 comments:

  1. This is really different and interesting.

    I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I sing loud and I don't think I care if my voice cracks or if I'm out of tune
    but no one can hear
    its not a real song
    and at the end of the day i don't think i was ever really singing."
    absolutely loved it all but this part caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete