Sunday, September 21, 2014

I'm not hungry tomorrow


When did everything stop being simple?  Things have to change, i suppose, but I never noticed them getting complex until i looked back and wondered where first grade went, and where freeze tag at recess went, and when i found the tooth fairy's tooth collection in my mom's drawer and started staying up late to help the easter bunny, and when i could no longer order kids meals at nice restaurants without feeling embarrassed.  

And since then things just haven't been so simple.  I've had to put on the big-kid screen and look at everything skeptically, and then i had to put on the grown-up glasses and things have just gotten foggier ever since.  What would it be like to take off these glasses and see clearly?  I'm worried that my vision has adjusted and if i take them off I'll be so used to being grown-up that I can't see things clearly, like I could as a kid. Really I'm worried that I'm growing up for good. I never was in neverland but I always figured I would never be a grown-up.

Really I want to see clearly.  

To be able to think what a friend of mine said to me, one who's a long way off from any kind of vision-enhancers. 

"your teacher should talk to my teacher about take-home homework.  I never have any take home homework."

kids are gifted, and if people say we're getting more lazy and less gifted as a species, maybe we should just try backward-development because really our perceptions seem much too complex, and could only improve with simplification.

And you know when something is so true it stops your breath?  i wonder when that started happening to me, because kids accept truth as they see it and keep on breathing.  

can you still say 
"I'm not hungry tomorrow" 
when you don't want to make your sack lunch for school the next day, and have life just be that simple? 

But people say that if everyone saw things simply there would be a lot more problems.  i wonder if instead there would just be more honesty and a more to learn from, and a lot more happy people.

just thinking,
Everett Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment