Monday, May 7, 2018

rain and jam





















Why do I keep?
There is a tingle in my right leg that makes my big toe into a bale of hay.
My eyes are closing up for the night, sweeping out the last of the customers
They are wanting to stay
And we want our legs back
things are leaping onto outside
Leaps into reflections of a roof
And I stand up to close the door.
My ship crashes through waves pushes my legs back to be stumbling,
Balance comes slowly more slowly than the couple below joined beneath an umbrella beneath falling marbles explosions at their feet.

Cold bones
I am keeping 
Warmth in the taste of words
A new book of old poetry
Freshly bought, tightly squeezed, making orange juice from Cummings and Elliot in my lips
They taste like rain and jam, thunder and a quilt, rain dropping and I feel you here too
Sometimes
Warming my cold fingers with words and fingerprints pressed against mine--

but I am alone in paper and Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment