Monday, May 7, 2018

thanksgiving, three years later

when i have no words to write I'm thankful for the sky,
who wouldn't read them anyway.

Sometime we could remember,
Remember for years until we forget ourselves and wake up groggy-eyed in heaven.

Let's remember magnesium-green cliffs and the drunk man Greg who must have been a priest,
he bowed his head to his guitar and prayed while his hand painted nylon strings into the blues.
His church was the hostel at his back and its pews the single white plastic chair
where he slouched at midnight.

We were only in Moab.

But sometimes I'm afraid of running out of light, like last night on the cliffs. I'm thankful that God put stars above my head, and a half moon.
I'm thankful that he tightened my grip on the rope and gave me leather gloves and friends with cheez-its who caught me at the bottom.
He put red walls around us for a day and put us together in a car thinking about home and russia and our next trip... Me? I'm trying to remember how to write.

Grow a little, y'all. don't be scared.
When we get taller we'll just buy new clothes and graduate from primary and
see the world from a few inches higher and
buy ourselves new bikes.

Someone's with you to catch you when you fall and cradle your head til the tears stop.
I'm no tree but I've felt hollow,
sometimes when life is a little much I think thanks and look into fish tanks and remember how
God loves me more.

..................................

& big thoughts like those
make me grow,

tall and thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment