Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Nelson, this is for you

I realized when I walked out of the room I hadn't said what I came in to tell you.
I came in to tell you the answer to your question in class.
I honestly don't remember if you asked the question out loud or if I just thought you did.

I'm not sure if what I told you was supposed to make you feel better. News like that... I'm not sure if thats exactly the "better" I was going for...
but
I came in to tell you that what you do makes a difference.   It changes lives, and it matters for sure.
I came in to say that what you do Matters.
learning about love and talking about life, and death,
learning how to dance,
learning about what's real,
about being hipsters
and being ourselves,
learning about what really matters,
you dancing and showing us that we don't have to care,

It helps.
It matters.
It makes me brave, at the very least.

I don't know if this helps, maybe it doesn't, maybe its not supposed to, maybe it only helps me to say it.

But life matters, and people matter, and so... even though these aren't the right words
i think i just wanted to say that things will be all right again, without those words sounding empty.    I really do mean them.
And maybe to say that its okay to laugh and to smile.
I appreciate what you do.
 I'm not the only one.

everett mills

5 comments:

  1. Definitely not the only one. Probably the most influential class I've taken.

    And I liked what you said about words sounding empty because all too often they do. Being genuine is getting rare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelson, if you see this, know that we all feel this way too. I'm sacrificing a lot to tale advanced cw next semester, and i know that it's going to be worth it because you change lives for a living, and for the record... that's pretty damn cool.

    Anyway, thanks for this post, Mr. Everett Mills. You said it better than i could have. Thanks for taking the time. Keep writing, and stay golden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. (I had about 16 things I tried to say here, but they all sounded cheesy. But thanks, really.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen 100 thousand times. loved this, thanks for saying it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. To everything that was just said. Really, and dedicatedly genuine. Beautiful post. And as for Nelson. It's beyond true. You're amazing and you help us all. ❤

    ReplyDelete